jeudi 30 janvier 2020

Running libreoffice as a service

I'm building a web application, that, among other things, performs conversion of files from doc to pdf format.

I've been using LibreOffice installed on the same server along with my web application. By shelling out and calling libreoffice binary from the code of my web app I am able to successfully convert documents.

The problem: when my web application receives several HTTP requests for doc->pdf conversion during a very short period of time (e.g. milliseconds), calling libreoffice fails to start multiple instances at once. This results in some files being converted successfully, while some are not.

The solution to this problem as I see it would be this:

  1. start libreoffice service once, make sure it accepts connections,
  2. when processing HTTP requests in my web application, talk to a running libreoffice service asking it to perform file format conversion,
  3. the "talking" part would be facilitated through shelling out to some CLI tool, or through some other means like sending libreoffice API requests to port or socket file).

After a bit of research, I found a CLI tool called jodconverter. From it, I can use jodconverter-cli to convert the files. The conversion works, but unfortunately jodconverter will stop the libreoffice server after conversion is performed (there's an open issue about that). I don't see a way to turn off this behavior.

Alternatively, I'm considering the following options:

  1. in my web app, make sure all conversion requests are queued; this obviously defeats concurrency, e.g. my users will have to wait for their files to be converted,

  2. research further and use something called UNO, however there's no binding for the language I am using (Elixir) and I cannot seem to see a way to construct a UNO payload manually.

How can I use libreoffice as a service using UNO?




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire