mercredi 21 décembre 2016

Should we block non-javascript users? [on hold]

I understand that websites should be built to support all users, but as non-js traffic is so little and the majority of that is likely bad traffic, is it beneficial to just block users who don't use javascript?

Before you have a hissy fit hear me out:
By block I mean simply don't support. Eg: put all requests in a js script.
Without js most websites have little-to-no functionality, now I understand that may be because people don't build sites how 'they should', but you only have to go to youtube to see how sites function without js. Although for some sites that level of functionality isn't necessary, that is not the use case I am suggesting.
Javascript is used to identify bad traffic. Again, before you throw a hissy fit I realise this is no foolproof method, but it's one google implements in reCAPTCHA. I've visited stackoverflow with js off, the majority of the time I was being identified as a bot and couldn't verify I wasn't as the captcha wouldn't work. (Stackoverflow's non-js support is pretty sound though :)

Use case:
I run a site like youtube
I use jwplayer

Non-js user visiting my site:
Can't watch video
Can't comment on video
Can't sign in (go visit youtube without js), and so all member functionality/features are useless to them Doesn't load captchas or other scripts that indicate their legitimacy

Site owners perspective:
Core functionality of my site won't work without js (you come to a video site and can't watch video)
The majority of non-js traffic is likely bad traffic
Even if it's good traffic, it's harder to verify
Advantages of blocking non-js traffic:
Saves bandwidth, likely prevents harmful bots
Saves time to attempt to support non-js users
Disadvantages:
May block some legitimate users, but if they can't view video/use core functionality why are they visiting, in-fact why do we want them visiting?

Also some of you may be thinking about search engines/crawlers, obviously you would implement it in such a away good robots are fine.

So now you've heard me out, should we block non-js users?

(I am aware there are other questions alike this, but I feel that since those questions were asked the web 'outlook' has changed, and that they did so in a different context).




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire