I've been trying to find a way to pass some small piece of info (a token) to a downloaded app, so that it may use it to personalize the user's experience once he/she installs it.
For example, a token which permits automatic login for the current user.
I am targeting Windows/Mac/Linux, not Mobile.
I've seen similar behavior when joining a WebEx meeting (or a join.me meeting) - I initially didn't have the app/extension installed, so the site started the download of the app (MacOS app in my case), and once I installed it, I was automatically logged into the meeting I was attending. The installed app somehow "knew" my logged in / anonymous credentials and which conference room I was trying to attend...
It is important to note that, in my case, the installer I would like to send a token to, is a 3rd party one, so I have a binary package and not a source one...
My first hunch was one of the following solutions:
- Rename the installer file to include the token in the filename. This will require the installed app to be able to detect the installer file. Not sure if that's possible
- Create a wrapper installer which sets some file/registry entry before unpacking and calling the original installer. The app can then look for this file/registry entry and if it finds it, use it.
- Save a cookie in a specific domain and have the app read it when it starts. This, of course, will only work if the app can access the right browser (in case the user has more than one) and can successfully read cookies from that domain.
None of these options seem very "clean" to me. Does anyone know of a better, cleaner way to accomplish this?
Thanks!
Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire